Operations & Communications Specialist
Join the Fire Adapted Colorado (FACO) team! You can be part of the team that helps Colorado navigate wildfires now and into the future. Fire Adapted Colorado (FACO) is the only organization dedicated to supporting the professionals who help Coloradans coexist with wildland fire, filling an urgent need in a state that is on edge following its most extensive fire year on record.
Our fast-paced, growing, mission driven nonprofit is seeking an organized, detail-oriented self-starter to serve as Operations and Communications Specialist. We provide educational and networking opportunities for communities, groups and individual stakeholders focused on reducing the negative impacts of wildfires in the state. FACO also hosts the Colorado Wildland Fire Conference.
We value interest more than subject matter expertise in wildfire resilience for this role. This job requires the ability to operate and build nonprofit business management and communications systems and any necessary wildfire expertise may be absorbed on the job.
Remote! You can work anywhere in the beautiful, diverse state of Colorado with phone and internet connectivity as your home office. This is a flexible, full-time position with benefits.
About the Position:
This position will wear many hats but mostly focus on communication and managing member systems. In partnership with a remote Executive Director, board of directors and network members, the Operations and Communications Specialist will lead organizational operations, build effective internal and external communications systems, and provide accounting and logistics support. The Operations and Communications Specialist is part of the leadership team providing strategic direction and supporting administration to sustain the nonprofit organization and will work very closely with the Executive Director (working remotely from southwest Colorado), the organization’s only other staff member. This is a career opportunity to maintain and build the systems and external communications that elevate FACO’s network of wildfire resilience professionals. The right person will help the Executive Director grow this organization and the position.
Fire Adapted Colorado was organized by wildfire professionals around the state in 2015, and was managed entirely by a volunteer board until support was contracted in 2018. We are thrilled to be at this juncture where we can provide the staff support to propel wildfire resilience forward in Colorado through our network of members.
Essential job duties and responsibilities include:
- Manage network’s technological infrastructure*
- Build and maintain a multi-channel internal and external communications strategy
- Update contact lists
- Capture member success stories
- Process membership applications, renewals, evaluations, and help track member participation
- Conduct network evaluation
- Maintain accounts, subscriptions, internal filing structure and inventory of equipment and passwords
- Maintain account transactions
- Run financial reports
- Set up large group calls
- Maintain systems for members to connect
- Support event planning
*The following systems are currently in use by the organization and this job will require incoming or rapid competency:
- Accounting software (Quickbooks Online)
- Calendars (Google, Podio)
- Cloud based filing (google drive)
- Design (canva or software)
- Email marketing (Mailchimp)
- Mapping (ESRI ARCMap online)
- Microsoft suites, Adobe Acrobat, Google Apps
- Social media (Facebook, Twitter)
- Social networking sites (Podio)
- Virtual meetings, calls, and webinars (Zoom, Google meets, Go To meeting)
- Website management (WordPress and Wix)
A qualified candidate is savvy with online tools to improve internal and external communications and manage members. We want you to love your job with us. It’s important that candidates are excited about our mission,, and you are happy working in a remote and independent environment that requires attention to detail, the ability to build systems, and self motivation.
A bachelor’s degree in administration and/or communications fields and at least two years of relevant experience are requested. Any combination of education, training and experience that produces the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job may be considered.
Anywhere in the beautiful, diverse state with phone and internet connectivity can be your home office for this flexible, full-time position with benefits. You must be able to travel in a personal vehicle 3-6 times per year to support events, work with the Executive Director, and participate in the annual in-person board retreat. Miles are reimbursed at the federal mileage rate and any other travel expenses incurred will be reimbursed.
Starting annual salary: $45,000 (26 bi-weekly payments)
Generous nonprofit benefits package:
- Employer health insurance contribution (approx. $400/month)
- Employer matching retirement contribution up to 3%
- Eight paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, plus two floating holidays
- Starting 4.5 hours vacation leave per pay period increasing to 6 hours at three years
- Sick leave (4 hours per pay period)
- $75 monthly phone & internet stipend.
*This is a salaried position based on a 80 hour two week pay period and exempt from overtime pay.
- Prepare a 1-3 page letter that expresses your interest and summarizes your experience relevant to this position.
- Prepare your resume (please link to any relevant work and list at least 2 references).
- Complete this simple application form, uploading your letter and resume as pdf files.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Applicants will be contacted within one week of application submission with any next steps. All qualifying applicants will be invited to submit a one-way video interview. A virtual interview with a small hiring committee will be scheduled for any candidate. We anticipate a start date by September 1st, 2021.
We will check references, request a copy of a driver’s license, and may conduct a background check including credit history prior to making a hiring decision.
Contact Executive Director Rebecca Samulski at Rebecca@fireadaptedco.org or (970)739-7899 with any questions.
Equal Opportunity Employment:
At Fire Adapted Colorado, we believe diversity makes us stronger. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic of identity.